Kimbolton is a small and friendly rural township north of Feilding and Cheltenham, set atop beautiful rural hills with sweeping views of the Ruahine mountain range. The township has a quiet but welcoming feel. Sport is an important part of the community, with a bowling club, and a large and very active rugby club.
Kimbolton takes its name from the estate of the Duke of Manchester, the chairman of the philanthropic Emigrant and Colonists' Aid Corporation which was responsible for the European settlement of Feilding and surrounding district. The main street in Feilding was named Kimbolton Road in honour of the Duke and as the road extended north into the bush-covered countryside, the same name was used for the muddy new rural road.
However, Kimbolton township was not originally known by that name. The European settlement of Kimbolton was carried out from 1886 by the Birmingham Small Farm Association, a group of families who were mainly based at Stony Creek (now Whakarongo) near Palmerston North. The government of the day was intent on "putting the small man on the land"; and the development of a special settlement scheme was the result of this. The basis of the scheme was deferred payment for land allotted by ballot to members of a specially formed association. To begin with Kimbolton was known as Birmingham and also as Fowler's after the family whose home became the first post office in the township.
Today one of Kimbolton's most interesting historic buildings is the tiny public library which has served the community since the late 1920s. Originally one of first cottages built in the township it was given to the Kiwitea County Council in the 1940s.
Woodland Grange Homestay - 3289667
Kimbolton Lodge - 3285707
Community Committee Contacts
Liaison Councillor - Prue McBeth, ph 328 5839