Rewa is a small piece of country heaven located in northern Manawatu, next to the Rangitikei River.
Rewa was previously a supply centre for the then isolated rural industry and an important timber milling centre. Now what we see are the characterful buildings of the old centre, the store (now the Clayart Gallery), the church and the old school. Close by is the river with scenic surroundings and great fishing.
Part of the Manchester Block, Rewa was bought from the local Maori people in 1866 and developed in the 1870’s by early settlers from England and Scotland. The district is primarily a farming region and is extremely beautiful offering spectacular views of the countryside. Views of ancient terraces formed over 400,000 years ago and the volcanic plateau can be observed from Stormy Point.
The Old Rewa Store was built in 1904 and has become an integral part of the history of the region, celebrating its centenary next year in 2004. The store functioned as a general store and post office up until 1985, providing essential provisions and services to farming families in the surrounding areas of Pakihikura and Tapuae.
Its longest residents were George and Betty Blackler who owned the store for 34 years from 1951 to 1985, bringing up a family of four and eventually retiring to Feilding. After 1985 social changes saw the post office close and a decline in the use of the old store as people travelled further a field to supermarkets for their supplies. The store functioned for a short time as a tea rooms and gift shop before being purchased by its current owners Cindy Heron and Stewart Fulljames who have established the Clayart Gallery, selling contemporary ceramics.
St Andrews Day Carol Service
Pipe band, lunch, celebrations at the Rewa Church. First Sunday in December.
Guy Faulks Fireworks Night
Rewa Sports Day, end of November
Liaison Councillor ‒ John Baxter, 06 323 5012